The Granite Club is committed to protecting your privacy. We comply with applicable privacy and anti-spam legislation and otherwise deal with personal information in a manner consistent with the principles that are reflected in such legislation. This document explains the nature of our commitment to protecting the privacy of Members and their Guests. It also identifies how individuals can learn more about how we manage personal information. The Active Therapy Clinic is subject to separate policies and procedures that govern its handling of personal health information.
Updated November 2014.
Our commitment to protecting privacy includes the following:
- Protecting privacy by designating a responsible individual and by assigning internal responsibility to promote privacy protection
- Developing, maintaining and enforcing practices that are necessary to protect privacy and by providing information about such practices on request
- Collecting, using and disclosing personal information only as necessary for purposes reasonably required
- Making a reasonable effort to ensure that personal information collected by us or on our behalf is accurate and complete
- Making reasonable security arrangements to prevent loss and unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal and similar risks to personal information under our control
- Providing access to personal information and a right of correction to personal information as required by law Retaining personal information as required by law and as otherwise in accordance with designated retention periods
- Maintaining a process for receiving and responding to complaints and other feedback on privacy issues
Why We Collect, Use, and Disclose Personal Information
In general, we collect personal information required for the Club's operational use, including contact information, demographic information and information about individual preferences.
We collect personal information for the following primary purposes:
- to process membership applications
- to administer memberships
- to provide secure access to facilities, products and services
- to tailor services to meet individual preferences
- to communicate information about our facilities, products and services
- to administer surveys, contests and other promotions
- to enhance our facilities, products and services and our marketing efforts
- to make business decisions
We ordinarily bring these and any other applicable purposes to individuals' attention at or before the time we collect personal information. At the same time, we ordinarily direct individuals to our Privacy Officer and this policy for further information, if requested.
We often communicate directly with Members about our facilities, products, services and promotions, but only do so based on consent. We also provide Members with a means of telling us if they do not wish to be contacted. When we send commercial electronic messages, we do so in compliance with the specific requirements set out in Canadian "anti-spam" legislation to the extent it applies.
We maintain websites that may require individuals to register by providing us with personal information. Our use and disclosure of personal information collected through the registration process is governed by this policy and our privacy practices.
Our Commitment to Securing Your Personal information
We make reasonable security arrangements to protect personal information against such risks as unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification disposal or destruction. From time to time, we engage third party information security experts to audit our security arrangements to identify opportunities for enhancement, if any.
Our commitment to securing personal information extends to information that we have transferred to service providers who help us communicate, help us manage personal information and help us undertake similar activities. We select, retain and manage our service providers with a view to maintaining reasonable protection of personal information.
We process and store most personal information by ourselves or by service providers that reside in Canada. When we process or store personal information by using service providers who do not reside in Canada (including by using our affiliates) we select, retain and manage such service providers with a view to maintaining reasonable protection of personal information and with a view to managing any security risks posed by unique social or political factors.
For Further Information
Individuals may contact our Privacy Officer:
- to ask about this policy or the Granite Club's Member privacy practices
- to ask questions about the processing or storage of personal information outside of Canada
- to request access to personal information in accordance with applicable privacy legislation
- to lodge a privacy complaint.
Our Privacy Officer can be reached at the following address:
Mary Elizabeth Sullivan
Chief Operating Officer & General Manager
2350 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M2L 1E4